Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Villa Lante, Italia - September 2022

 

 

 

We visited Villa Lante, a Renaissance garden full of fountains.  Absolutely gorgeous and wonderful, with all sorts of grottoes and nooks and crannies featuring plants and fountains.  The various gardens were supposed to represent the four elements of water, air, earth, and fire, although I truly have no idea how anyone can represent fire through water.


I really liked the Pegasus fountain, and spent time working on a watercolor sketch in my book.  I liked the way the sunlight glowed on the back of the metallic Pegasus, highlighting him.


I also snuck in photos of the official fountain cleaner.  Really, this man spent his time taking off the spouts, cleaning out algae and such, cleaning out the pipe openings, putting the spouts back and, and getting rather wet in the process.  My favorite part, though, was that the plastic tubing he used for cleaning the spouts and pipes exactly matched the lime green shoelaces on his sneakers!  


My studio time was spent painting the mysterious fountain man, with the very exuberant fountain bubbling away around him.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment