Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Orvieto, Italia - September 2022

 


 

 

Orvieto is a large hill town with a huge and famous cathedral.  The day we arrived (in the first class), there was some sort of food festival, or maybe a farmer's market with a wine festival - just food and wine stands scattered around different parts of the city, and a lot of visitors tasting and sipping.  


I wandered into one of the covered markets, and found a table covered in jars of homemade jams and marmalades, each flavor with a specific color fabric on top to differentiate the fruits.  Just gorgeous in all the colors, with ruby and garnet and amethyst colored preserves in the jars.  I sketched, I took photos, I chatted with the man selling these jams.  I sat outside and colored in my quick sketch, but later was able to make a complete painting in the studio, using both my sketch and photos for reference.  I think this is one of my favorite pieces of art from this entire trip.


We walked along the "road" on the top of the old wall surrounding the city - this really was a road, once upon a time, with horse-drawn cannons and marching regiments to protect the city.  I did a sketch in aquarelle pencil of one of the lamps, part of the wall, and the vineyards in the distance.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment